Happy to say it’s officially Mary Meeker Day! In case you’re wondering who TF’s Mark Meeker, she’s a badass analyst & VC who blesses us with an annual presentation called Internet Trends. Internet Trends 2018 has some great insights and really sums up where we are and where we’re going online.
Here are some key takeaways from Recode:
- 2017 was the first year in which smartphone unit shipments didn’t grow at all. As more of the world become smartphone owners, growth has been harder and harder to come by. The same goes for internet user growth, which rose 7 percent in 2017, down from 12 percent the year before. With more than half the world online, there are fewer people left to connect.
- People, however, are still increasing the amount of time they spend online. U.S. adults spent 5.9 hours per day on digital media in 2017, up from 5.6 hours the year before. Some 3.3 of those hours were spent on mobile, which is responsible for overall growth in digital media consumption.
- Despite the high-profile releases of $1,000 iPhones and Samsung Galaxy Notes, the global average selling price of smartphones is continuing to decline. Lower costs help drive smartphone adoption in less-developed markets.
- Mobile payments are becoming easier to complete. China continues to lead the rest of the world in mobile payment adoption, with over 500 million active mobile payment users in 2017.
- Voice-controlled products like Amazon Echo are taking off. The Echo’s installed base in the U.S. grew from 20 million in the third quarter of 2017 to more than 30 million in the fourth quarter.
- Tech companies are facing a “privacy paradox.” They’re caught between using data to provide better consumer experiences and violating consumer privacy.
- Tech companies are becoming a larger part of U.S. business. In April, they accounted for 25 percent of U.S. market capitalization. They are also responsible for a growing share of corporate R&D and capital spending.
- E-commerce sales growth is continuing to accelerate. It grew 16 percent in the U.S. in 2017, up from 14 percent in 2016. Amazon is taking a bigger share of those sales at 28 percent last year. Conversely, physical retail sales are continuing to decline.
You really should watch it.
Don and Kim were not in her 2017 Internet Trends Report
ASRock leaks four unannounced 2nd-gen AMD Ryzen processors / PCWorld
The market’s most feared short-seller is bullish on Snap and says it could be bought within the next year (SNAP) / Tech Insider
Facebook Is Losing Teens to YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat / Tech – Fortune
Ripple CEO Compares Bitcoin to Napster, Says BTC’s Influence on Market Could Lessen / Cointelegraph.com News
AI researchers design ‘privacy filter’ for your photos / Artificial Intelligence News — ScienceDaily
Full video and transcript: Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi at Code 2018 / Recode – All
AWS launches pay-per-session pricing for its QuickSight BI tool / Enterprise – TechCrunch
Waymo just revealed plans to add 62,000 self-driving minivans to its fleet (FCAU, GOOG) / Tech Insider
HP Inc.: The HP Split Worked / Aruba networks – Google News
New GeForce graphics cards inbound? Nvidia will discuss its next-gen GPU at Hot Chips / PCWorld
CRN Exclusive: Cisco Americas Sales Chief Gleeson To Step Down As Exec Shakeup Continues / CRN
Data driving success: Mercedes teams up with Rubrik / Information Age
An Amazon-backed smart thermostat company just snagged another $36 million to take on Google’s Nest (GOOG, GOOGL, AMZN) / Tech Insider
Cisco Launches ‘Highest Density’ UCS System Using AMD Processors / CRN
Cisco turns to AMD Epyc for the first time in new UCS model / The Register – Data Centre
Uber Turned Down a $3 Billion Investment From Warren Buffett. That’s Good News for Uber—Really. / Tech – Fortune
A small military contract started an internal war at Google that’s tearing the company apart / Tech Insider
Don’t read this, Oracle… It’s the rise of the open-source data strategies / The Register – Data Centre
The three reasons Spotify did a rare direct stock listing, according to CEO Daniel Ek / Recode – All
The Mary Meeker slide that should terrify every European startup booster / VentureBeat
Intel teases Optane DIMMS, but you may need a new Xeon first / The Register – Data Centre
VMware declares energy-guzzling blockchains ‘immoral’ / The Register – Data Centre
Headphones Maker Monster Is Quietly Planning A $300 Million ICO / CoinDesk
Cisco Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend / News@Cisco: News Releases
Google is reportedly renewing its assault on the iPhone X with a redesigned and upgraded Pixel 3 phone (GOOG, GOOGL, AAPL) / Tech Insider
Japanese Gov’t-Licensed Crypto Exchange Acquired By International Investor for $50 Mln / Cointelegraph.com News
Buy Crypto While It Is Cheap, Says Major Crypto Hedge Fund CEO / Cointelegraph.com News
It’s good to be the king: Dell gives HPE hell at top of server charts / The Register – Data Centre
Apple is already working on custom Mac processors in ‘secret’ lab / Engadget
Emulate George Washington, not Vladimir Putin’: Facebook investors are in open revolt over Mark Zuckerberg running the firm like a ‘dictatorship’ (FB) / Tech Insider
NASA is on a ‘daring adventure’ to get the closest-ever photos of Ceres — a dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter / Tech Insider
A Google scientist warned against promoting the firm’s work on a weapons project using Elon Musk’s doomsday prophecy about AI (GOOGL) / Tech Insider
VMware preps NSX network virtualization for smaller customers / The Register – Data Centre
Walmart is now offering college tuition to employees for $1 a day / Tech Insider
Controversial Google Military AI Contract Fuels AI Regulation Debate / Tech – Fortune
Asus’ New Crypto Mining Motherboard Has Space for 20 GPUs / CoinDesk
Essential guide: How to choose storage for your virtual environment / Information Age
Reboot your router to avoid Russian malware, FBI warns: What you need to know / PCWorld
A new insight about Hulu shows how Netflix has helped drive a market for ad-free TV / Tech Insider
Snap surges after report says it has entered a partnership that’ll help it monetize in India (SNAP) / Tech Insider
Amazon’s Whole Foods expands 10% discount on some items for Prime members to 12 additional states including Colorado, Arkansas, Texas, and Northern California (Taylor Soper/GeekWire) / Techmeme
Nutanix looks to Internet of Things future with Project Sherlock / ChannelBuzz.ca
Hackers Demand $1 Million in XRP After Bank Data Theft / CoinDesk
Nvidia wants to dominate the AI cloud arms race / New on MIT Technology Review
Evan Spiegel took a snarky swipe at Mark Zuckerberg over Facebook’s data scandal (SNAP) / Tech Insider
IBM Melds Data Management with Kubernetes / Container Journal
Nvidia unveils HGX-2, a cloud computing platform for AI and high performance computing, which consists of 16 GPUs delivering 2 petaflops per second (Robert Hof/SiliconANGLE) / Techmeme