I didn’t read the news enough this week because of life happening, but believe me when I tell you, stuff happened. The biggest news from the blogosphere was leaks from Intel, absolutely ridiculous benchmarks on Threadripper, and crypto bouncing like a dead as f cat.
After reading about the new Threadripper, i really want to build a new PC with one of these chips. If they roll out a SFF MB for this proc, I will be all about that (it might already exist, just haven’t seen it)
In response to AMD, Intel is slowly leaking info on it’s upcoming lineup to better compete with Threadripper. I am really enjoying this whole series of events. AMD is chipping away at Intel’s market share and they can’t do shit about it. The only thing they can do is leak products many months out and hope customers don’t re-platform.
Crypto FINALLY bounced back green after several weeks of bleeding. I’ve been spending more leisure reading Twitter and have been sharing my favorite snippets over on Side Notes. Crypto Twitter is a hilarious place filled with memes and charts. If you like charts, you’ll love crypto twitter.
Until next time,
- Vitalik’s new Consensus Algorithm to make 51% attack obsolete, requires 99% nodes for attack / Blockmanity
- Brian Armstrong: Coinbase Signed Up 50,000 Users per Day in 2017 / Cointelegraph.com News
- NVIDIA: Our crypto business is dead and it’s never coming back (NVDA) / Tech Insider
- NetApp flashes numbers at rivals: NAND we’re eating your dinner / The Register – Data Centre
- Intel Riding High in Data Center Market as AMD Threat Looms / EnterpriseTech
- Behold: The foldable Samsung Galaxy F of your dreams / BGR
- This week’s new PC hardware: Nvidia Turing GPU, AMD Threadripper 2990WX, and big power in tiny laptops / PCWorld
- German Researchers Have Built a Quantum Transistor Using Just a Single Atom / Tech – Fortune
- 2nd Gen Threadripper 2990WX review: AMD’s 32-core CPU is insanely fast but not for everyone / PCWorld
- Voice-controlled Glas thermostat supports Cortana, Alexa, and Google Assistant / VentureBeat
- Google is reportedly developing its own Amazon Echo Show / VentureBeat
- Tesla has reportedly revised an agreement to buy all of the solar cells and modules Panasonic made at their solar panel factory (TSLA) / Tech Insider
- Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti leak: This is one beefy video card / VentureBeat
- The CIA falsely believed it was ‘invincible’ in China — here’s how its spies were reportedly discovered in one of the biggest blows to the agency / Tech Insider
- SIM Swapping: How Hackers Stole Millions Worth of Crypto Via Victim’s Telecoms Operator / Cointelegraph.com News
AUTONOMY AND AS A SERVICE
- Google just gave control over data center cooling to an AI / New on MIT Technology Review
- Walmart says it has completed its $16B acquisition of Flipkart (Anirban Sen/Livemint) / Techmeme
- Intel buys deep-learning startup Vertex.AI to join its Movidius unit; Vertex says Intel will continue to develop its PlaidML engine as an open source project (Ingrid Lunden/TechCrunch) / Techmeme