What a year. As we near the end of 2018 I am trying to make a list of the things I’m thankful for, some of the things I’d like to improve, and a list of goals as I roll into the new year. I had some huge life events happen and love my friends and family.
Regarding news, it’s been a wild year. I don’t have a comprehensive list for the year, but that’s something I plan on working on for next year. How can I curate the best, and present it precisely. A project I’d really like to lift up is a crypto price chart that is overlaid with the best news. I think this could be accomplished through a couple ifttt recipes and Messari’s api. The bad news on that is I don’t know how to code a website let alone use an api.
So what’s realistic for next year?
The answer to this is very simple. Anything I want.
- Something big professionally is cooking. I can’t say right now because you aren’t under NDA but it’s a big one.
- Get a mentor/be a mentor – This is something I’ve struggled with over the past couple years. I don’t have a mentor, big bro, or bud I go to for advice. I need/want this in my life. I’ve never had a mentor so I don’t know what expectations to have about being someones mentor. I think finding a mentor will be easier than becoming one.
- Let’s get physical – I’ve got to get active. I have sat in the office chair for far too and grown far too weak. I’d like to participate in a sprint duathalon this year. Start running. Ride bicycle often. Sign up for race. Participate in race.
- Get involved in philanthropy – I don’t know what when where how but do it
- Move towards debt free – self explanatory. Get rid of these student loans.
- 21 BTC – this is a personal goal. I’d like to have 1/1,000,000 of supply.
- Grow spiritually – need to continue seeking light. Don’t stop.
- And a bunch of other personal shit you don’t care about.
I think the list is doable and I really want to accomplish all these goals. I am ABSOLUTELY revising my vision board. Every time I work on it, things come true. Remember…
THOUGHTS BECOME THINGS
- Samsung teases foldable phone that acts as a phone when closed and a tablet when opened, says mass production will begin within months (Tom Warren/The Verge) / Techmeme
- Parents have posted 1,300 photos of their children by the time they’re 13 / New on MIT Technology Review
- What AMD’s 64-core ‘Rome’ server CPU tells us about Ryzen 2 / PCWorld
- David Attenborough, the legendary BBC broadcaster, will provide the voiceover for Netflix’s eight-part series Our Planet, to be released in April (Jim Waterson/The Guardian) / Techmeme
- Mark Zuckerberg joined a private Facebook group for Harvard memes and group members are loving it (FB) / Tech Insider
- Ahead of Bitcoin Cash Hard Fork, The Coin’s Competing Visions Vie for Hash Rate / Cointelegraph
- Google open-sources AI that can distinguish between voices with 92% accuracy / VentureBeat
- Satellite photos of the California wildfires reveal their incredible destruction from space / Tech Insider
- Opposing Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin SV Factions’ Debates Grow Heated as the Bitcoin Cash Hard Fork Draws Closer / Cointelegraph
- Catherine Haslam: Does the modern telecommunications CTIO know how to deliver a 5G digital revolution? / The internet of things
- Amazon to receive incentives of $1.5B+ over ten years based on creating 25K jobs in Queens, but politicians object, with some saying they will fight the deal (J. David Goodman/New York Times) / Techmeme
- The Windows 10 October 2018 Update is finally re-released, after data loss bugs caused it to be pulled; Microsoft says it’s focusing on improving code quality (Tom Warren/The Verge) / Techmeme
- Spotify will roll out its Apple Watch app in the coming week but without key features like the ability to stream music on LTE or download songs (Sam Rutherford/Gizmodo) / Techmeme
- Satellite images show how the Camp Fire destroyed entire towns and killed dozens of people / Tech Insider
- GovTech to hit $1 trillion by 2025 / Information Age
- Japan’s New Cybersecurity Minister Has Never Used a Computer / Tech – Fortune
- Watch SpaceX Launch and Land a Falcon 9 Rocket Today / Tech – Fortune
- Tom Lee Maintains $15,000 Year-End BTC Prediction Despite Market Crash / Cointelegraph
- Bird debuts Bird Platform, which sells scooters to entrepreneurs, who can add their brand and rent them out, using Bird’s chargers and mechanics for a 20% cut (Kate Clark/TechCrunch) / Techmeme
- Nasdaq’s Bitcoin Futures Could Launch in Q1 2019, Says Bloomberg / Cointelegraph
- Would a Universal Genetic Database Be a Crime-Solving Wonder, Or an Orwellian Nightmare? / Singularity Hub
- Bitcoin Is World’s Best Performing Asset Class Over Past 10 Years, Says Pompliano / Cointelegraph
- Get two Google Home Mini speakers and two WeMo smart plugs for $58—a $100 discount / PCWorld
- Elon Musk says people need to work around 80 hours per week to change the world (TSLA) / Tech Insider
- GM will stop building cars at 3 North American factories and cut its salaried workforce by 15% in 2019 as it shifts to electric and self-driving cars (GM) / Tech Insider
- Currant WiFi Smart Outlet review: This is a nearly perfect smart plug / PCWorld
- YouTube just gave a big clue that its $12-a-month Premium service is headed for extinction after only eight months (GOOG, GOOGL) / Tech Insider
- Logitech Says It’s Decided Against $2.2 Billion Plantronics Buyout / Tech – Fortune
- Jeep just jumped into the pickup truck game to take on Ford, Chevy, and Toyota with the ‘most capable midsize truck ever’ (FCAU) / Tech Insider
- Audi just revealed a new electric concept car that puts Tesla’s Model S to shame / Tech Insider
- SEC settles with Floyd Mayweather and DJ Khaled on charges of promoting ICOs without disclosing payments; Mayweather to pay $600K+ in fees, Khaled to pay $150K+ (Liz Moyer/CNBC) / Techmeme
- Fundstrat’s Tom Lee: Bear Markets Are a ‘Golden Time’ to Be in Crypto / Cointelegraph
- This guy found a way to run Apple’s Mac software on an iPad — and it works surprisingly well (AAPL) / Tech Insider
- Ericsson: 5G will have fastest rollout ever, going mainstream in 2020 / VentureBeat
- Quora says it discovered a data breach on Nov. 30 affecting about 100M users, exposing names, email addresses, hashed passwords, and other non-public content (Adam D’Angelo/The Quora Blog) / Techmeme
- Valve, which used to take a 30% cut of all revenue on Steam, says it will now take a 25% cut for games with $10M-$50M in sales and just 20% for games with $50M+ (Thomas Wilde/GeekWire) / Techmeme
- Coinbase adds Civic, district0x, Loom Network, and Decentraland to its Coinbase Pro trading platform and is considering 27 other tokens (Nikhilesh De/CoinDesk) / Techmeme
- Slack Hires Goldman Sachs to Lead Its IPO Planned for 2019, Report Says / Tech – Fortune
- Elon Musk says Tesla ‘would be interested’ in taking over General Motors’ idled factories (TSLA) / Tech Insider
- Congress just quietly passed a law that could spark a boom for the $1 billion marijuana-linked CBD industry / Tech Insider
- 37% of Tech Experts Worry Artificial Intelligence Will Make Humanity Worse by 2030 / Tech – Fortune
- Cloud giants, enterprise refreshes keep storage market poppin’: Global sales up 20% in Q3 / The Register – Data Centre
- Slumping Apple iPhone XR Demand Prompts Analyst to Cut Sales Estimates / Tech – Fortune
- At least 15 central banks are serious about getting into digital currency / New on MIT Technology Review
- Amazon is building an air hub in Texas — and that means more bad news for FedEx and UPS, Morgan Stanley says (AMZN) / Tech Insider
- 16 Ways to Measure Network Effects – How do you know you have them, and what to do with them? / Andreessen Horowitz
- Bitcoin to Be Worth ‘Great Deal More’ in Three Years, Circle Co-Founder Says / Cointelegraph
- Beyond Cryptocurrencies / Andreessen Horowitz
- Profile of MindGeek, which owns 9 of the top 15 porn sites worldwide, has 125M visits per day, and whose bandwidth use exceeds that of Facebook or Amazon (Aisha Hassan/Quartz) / Techmeme
- Google says it won’t sell face recognition for now—but it will be hard to slow its use / New on MIT Technology Review
- Heroes of the Storm eulogy: For once, Blizzard couldn’t balance the casual and competive / VentureBeat
- Church’s Chicken Starts Accepting Dash in Venezuela After KFC Confusion / Cointelegraph
- Postmates has launched a delivery robot that will bring lunch to your door / New on MIT Technology Review
- Telecoms Giant AT&T Seeks Patent for Blockchain-Enabled Social Media ‘Mapping’ System / Cointelegraph