PODS PODS PODS
I’ve been listening to pods for a few years now, check that, since Steve Jobs was on stage pimping them in iTunes. Until recently, I haven’t been that serious about following Pods, they’ve come and gone. Much like a fad in my life, Pods have changed as my interest has changed over the years. The good news is that I’ve gotten more serious about following pods more regularly, but they are certainly catered towards my interests.
Here are my regular listens, the reason I pop in Pocket Casts and hit refresh.
Non Tech Top of the Queue
These are the ones I love and always enjoy. (Warning, this is almost all tech focused)
- Song Exploder – take really great songs, break them down piece by piece with the artist, and hear the story behind the song.
- The Joe Rogan Experience – this isn’t a MMA podcasts, no Joe Rogan covers everything. Sure he talks about the octagon but he goes down crazy rabit holes about crazy drug stories, health and fitness, politics, monetary theory, and of course pop culture. I love this guy.
- Mysterious Universe – do you believe in paranormal activity? If you do, you will love this show. If you don’t believe in Big Foot and Aliens, you probably won’t like this show.
- Juicy Scoop – Heather McDonald is a stand up comic and the AUTHORITY on all things Real Housewives of X. I went and saw a live podcast with her and LeeAnne Locken from The Real Housewives of Dallas and it was really entertaining. My only regret is that I didn’t have more beer readily available.
- The Knowledge Project – this is about brilliant people and how they get shit done. Definitely the most enlightening of the bunch.
Tech Top of the Queue
Now that you know I believe in Aliens and watch the Real Housewives, let’s get into the good stuff. My favorite tech pods are listed below. This list is always changing because there is sooo much good content out there.
- Unchained – this show digs into blockchain, get it, the name, get it? Host Laura Shin interviews people from many different verticals and digs into implications of blockchain and cryptocurrency, how we got here, and where we are going.
- Unconfirmed – Also hosted by Laura Shin… interviews with the top minds in crypto. This is where we get to hear from the people lanching ICO’s and running top crypto firms.
- Coin Talk – just two nerds geeking out about crypto. Not technical, definitely not financial advice. A lot of conversation about post apocolyptic crypto utopias and how that movie will get made.
- Converge – editor at The Verge sits down with top thinkers in tech and talks about all the best stuff happening in tech.
- Techmeme Ride Home – daily rundown of the best stories from Tecmeme.
There’s a bunch more in the pod catcher and I’ll update this list from time to time. My wife thinks she’s the queen of pods and always hustling me to listen to new stuff and she usually gets her way, so there’s that too.