You’re at your family Thanksgiving party and that cousin from California busts out one of those DNA tests. Everyone is pumped and swabs their mouth without hesitation. The promise of knowing “Where I came from” is too much to pass up and we’ll have the results by Christmas. Weeks pass, now it’s Christmas and your elbow deep in the bowl of Uncle Ned’s Egg Nog and that cousin busts out the results. Turns out you’ve got the most boring DNA ever and there are no surprises. That was fun. But what happens now? What happens to your DNA? Is it yours? Did you read the T’s & C’s before you swabbed your mouth?
Did you read the T’s & C’s before you swabbed your mouth?
No, you probably didn’t. Now guess what… that noble DNA testing company promising you the keys to your ancestry just got bought by one of the largest drug makers on the planet. Now you really don’t own your DNA. Now your DNA is in a pivot table in a lab having algorithms fired at it. Your poor DNA.
Flash forward 10 years.
You find yourself in an internment camp for people with the same shitty DNA sequence, the one where you develop a really bad disease that isn’t curable. You’re considered a strain on society and you’re on an island left to survive like a pack of wild dogs. All of this happened because of that cousin from California and that stupid DNA test.
That story just happened. Mark my words. Here’s the real story.
- Facebook won’t say if it has evidence of Russian meddling in the upcoming 2018 US elections (FB) / Tech Insider
- Google Debuts New Tools To Simplify Custom AI Builds / CRN
- Facebook’s top security exec called for huge changes to solve the company’s problems in a leaked memo (FB) / Tech Insider
- A billionaire known as ‘China’s Elon Musk’ is suspected of spying while he was a Duke student and stealing a professor’s invisibility technology / Tech Insider
- Facebook CSO Alex Stamos told peers in memo about his departure to “intentionally not collect data where possible” and be willing to pick sides on moral issues (BuzzFeed News) / Techmeme
- Big Switch Networks Founder Forster On Partner Opportunities In A Pumped-Up Portfolio / CRN
- HPE Brings Nimble Predicative Analytics To 3PAR Storage / CRN
- DARPA Effort Pushes Beyond Moore’s Law / EnterpriseTech
- Google announces new Cloud AutoML offerings: Vision, Natural Language, and Translation, available in beta, also announces Contact Center AI available in alpha (Fei-Fei Li/The Keyword) / Techmeme
- There is no intention of spinning out Oath’: Verizon affirms its commitment to its digital media business following reports CEO Tim Armstrong was considering a buyout / Tech Insider
- Google’s Diane Greene announced a major win over Amazon: Target is using Google’s cloud (GOOG, GOOGL) / Tech Insider
- Silicon Valley engineered tech addiction, and it’s Indians who are paying the price / Technology – Quartz
- Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian Upholds BTC $20K, ETH $1.5K 2018 Forecasts / Cointelegraph.com News
- Drug giant invests $300 million in 23andMe and the promise of genetics / New on MIT Technology Review
- IBM is the biggest supplier of tech to the government so far this year / NS Tech
- AMD’s Q2 results illustrate 2018 momentum in servers, graphics, PCs / Latest news
- ServiceNow Q2 solid as company lands bigger deals / Latest news
- With Knative, Google Brings Multicloud Serverless to the Enterprise / The New Stack
- Facebook shares sink 8% as Q2 revenue and user growth miss analyst estimates / GeekWire
- Google releases final Android P beta as launch nears / Latest news
- Google announces Edge TPU, Cloud IoT Edge software / Latest news
- Windstream Takes Its SD-WAN to the Virtual Edge / SDxCentral Feed
- Google launches a standalone version of Drive for businesses that don’t want the full G Suite / Enterprise – TechCrunch
- Waymo teams up with Walmart to widen the use of self-driving vehicles / SiliconANGLE
- How Google is turning its own difficult security lessons into tools for its cloud customers / GeekWire
- 5 Sights You Must Take In During The Century’s Longest Total Lunar Eclipse / Forbes – Tech
- Bitcoin price recovery sees cryptocurrency rise $100 per day in July / The Independent – Tech
- Ericsson bringing advanced LTE to more Verizon cities / Latest news
- Google unveils Cloud Services Platform, a family of cloud services / Latest news
- Google races against AWS, Microsoft to bring AI to developers / Latest news
- Google Cloud taps new Intel memory module for SAP HANA workloads / Latest news
- 7 steps to becoming a thought leader / CIO
- Dallas Data Center Demand Driven by Healthy Economy / Data Center Frontier
- Here Are 12 Well-Known Websites That Chrome 68 Labels ‘Not Secure’ / Forbes – Tech
- Democratizing Machine Learning at Scale with Kubernetes on Azure / The New Stack
- Threat intelligence from the dark web / Latest articles from SC Magazine
- Mysterious digital marketing startup New Engen, led by ex-Zulily execs, emerges from stealth mode / GeekWire
- Why Amazon Can’t Match Microsoft In The Cloud: 10 Insights From Satya Nadella / Forbes – Tech
- Speedtest Ranks The Fastest Mobile Carriers In The US / Forbes – Tech
- Coinbase clears employees of Bitcoin Cash insider trading / SiliconANGLE
- Facebook’s scandals just cost it $150 billion on Wall Street / Technology – Quartz
- Official: AMD now stands for All the Money, Dudes! / The Register – Data Centre